Bud Butter or any kind of fat or oil loaded with THC, the active ingredient in Marijuana, is generally necessary to make any pot recipe, since THC is soluble in fat or oils but not in water. So, this recipe is like a preparatory step for most of the other recipes.
One thing to keep in mind is how fine you need to grind the marijuana. If you grind it too coarse then the surface area of the marijuana would not be good enough which will lead to lower THC extraction. On the other hand if you grind it too fine then you need to make sure that you have a fine strainer to filter out the marijuana otherwise the bud butter will have small pieces of plant in it, as in the image below. I personally don’t mind them much.
- 2 Stick / 0.5 lb. Butter (unsalted)
- 1/4 ounce / 7 grams Marijuana* grounded (if it is too fine then it will be difficult to filter it later)
- 4 - 12 cups Water (add as per need)
- (*For higher yield maintain about the same ratio of 1 lb. of butter for every 0.5 ounce of Marijuana and about 4 cups of water for every stick of butter)
- Add butter, water and marijuana in a deep pot and bring the mixture to a boil over medium –high heat.
- Once the mixture starts to boil turn down the heat to medium and keep the mixture heating for 40-60 mins. At this point you will start to see the oil floating at the top. Add more water if the water level is down to 1/4 of the original amount you added and heat again for another 60 mins. (The longer the heating the better, but make sure that there is water in the pot else the butter will burn).
- After a total of around 2-3 hours of heating take the mixture off the stove and let it cool down. Strain it using a fine tea strainer or a cheesecloth. Throw away the plant matter.
- Keep the butter-water liquid in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning you will have the bud butter ready. Be careful taking the butter out as the butter will freeze at the top and the water will be at the bottom. Throw away the water and make you favorite recipes with the Bud Butter you so miraculously made by yourself. Congratulation!
*This amount is for medical marijuana and since medical marijuana is generally more potent you might want to use a little extra marijuana for a lb. of butter if you are not using medical marijuana. In any case, however, you should always start eating with a small amount of your final recipe to actually gauge the potency of it.